Businesses Invested $32.5 Billion in Assets to Support Their R&D Activities in the United States in 2020
March 17, 2023
In 2020, businesses invested $32.5 billion in assets such as buildings, equipment, and software to support their U.S. research and development activities. Manufacturing companies accounted for $19.7 billion (61%) of these capital expenditures for R&D, while nonmanufacturing companies accounted for the remaining $12.8 billion (39%).
Measuring America’s Progress in Science, Technology, and Innovation
Compare 60 key indicators to understand how your state ranks against other states and the nation.
Generate simple line and bar graphs using the Chart Builder.
Quickly discover and learn about available surveys and measures with the Data Explorer.
Click on a key statistic from one of NCSES's publications to learn more.
Total growth in net assignable square feet of S&E research space at U.S. higher education institutions from FY 2011 to FY 2021
State government agencies’ expenditures for R&D totaled nearly $2.5 billion in FY 2021, up 1.1% from FY 2020
A total of 3,637 postdoctorates were employed and trained by federally funded R&D centers in 2021
How We Support Research
NCSES supports the use of our data for innovative research through collaborative partnerships.
NCSES promotes research on the collection, analysis, and reporting of data. Explore our work and opportunities here.
Learn about the various research funding mechanisms NCSES offers and their associated deadlines.
Restricted Use Data Licensing
Apply to gain access to NCSES's restricted use microdata.
In the News
Return to R&D Expensing Crucial for Manufacturing and Technology Investment
Data from our Business Enterprise R&D (BERD) Survey are cited on the distribution of R&D investment across the U.S. economy.
Computer Engineer Focused on Ethical AI among 100 "Women That Are Changing the World"
Science and Engineering Indicators data are cited on the proportion of computer and mathematical scientists who are women.
Federal Computer Assisted Survey Information Collection (FedCASIC) Workshops
The 2023 annual workshops will focus on the use of technology in government surveys.
Conference on Statistical Foundations of Data Science and Their Applications
This conference will provide a forum for scientific communications where collaborations will be promoted among researchers in statistics and data science.
NCSES serves as a clearinghouse for the collection, interpretation, analysis, and dissemination of objective science and engineering data.Learn More
Quality & Transparency
NCSES strives to provide high-quality, reproducible data and to be transparent in all methods.